Saturday, March 21, 2009

Dallin + Katie {reception: the flowers}

I was elated when Katie asked me to help her with her flowers because I rarely have such an opportunity. It's great because when you do them yourself and have a wholesale source it cost 3 to 4 times less than it would to order them from a floral shop, and I'm always happy to help reduce costs for weddings. Yikes!

We did a walk-through of a local wholesaler so that Katie could pick the flowers she wanted, and she chose: hydrangeas, roses, enchanted lilies, lisianthus, bells of Ireland, Queen Anne's lace, stock, and mini calla lilies.

I had loads of help, which I was so grateful for. Monday we prepped and hydrated all the flowers, and Tuesday we put everything together. My aunt and cousin tackled the boutonnieres and corsages, while my Grandma and I went to work on nearly 20 arrangements, Katie's bouquet, and 6 nosegays. Katie helped with her bouquet, and her sisters put together their own nosegays. I think it's fun to participate in the design process for something you'll be carrying/wearing.

I was in charge of decorating the cake as well- the topper was easy, but I was sort of obsessing over the asymmetrical scattering below it, so I was grateful to Erin and my Mom for lending a hand and helping me finish.

When you do flowers on your own you have the added pleasure of carting them to the reception center. Again, that's where it's nice to know brilliant people who think of creative solutions to keeping the flowers upright and perfect. And of the 20 arrangements, we only had to fuss with one when we got there. A miracle if you ask me! Thanks to everyone who helped out...




1 comment:

stacey said...

you just have way too many talents.